Monday, March 24, 2014

Mexican Bologna




   Monday 7:00 am

Starting a typical week today.  As usual I leave only the barest margin of time to get myself out of the house and on the road to work, not eating breakfast.  This is not because of the SNAPfast, but my general lack of hunger in the mornings.   About 10:30 am I’ll start to want something to eat.   So, with no hitches I am out the door exactly when I need to be.  Until it hits me, about a quarter mile up the road, that I have packed no mid-morning snack or lunch.  I turn back and zip down my driveway, run in, and open the fridge.   What to grab?  I settle on the can of tuna, an apple, and a couple of slices of bread.  I should get some protein and vitamins from these.  It occurs to me that I am relying heavily on sandwiches, and as the bread to bologna ratio is 2:1 (two slices of bread for each one slice of bologna), I think I am going to run out of bread.    Happily, I remember that fried bologna was a treat as a child, so it might be fun to resurrect that as a breadless alternative.  Do you know that if you cut four little snips in the perimeter of the bologna and heat it up in a frying pan, the center will rise up, making something that resembles a Mexican hat?  At least that’s what my Aunt Carolyn called it when we were growing up.  Go figure….a mostly Irish kid from the south, eating a "meat" named for a town in Italy, fried up to resemble a sombrero.  Is that diversity or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment