Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What did the rice say to the bean?




Wednesday 6:00 pm

So today is day 4 and "steady as she goes."  Based on what I've eaten and what I have left, I think I'm going to make it to Sunday in relatively good condition.  Friends and colleagues have been sweet and solicitous, but it isn't really warranted.  I'm not suffering, but my choices are limited and I have to work harder.  I hope that I am not coming across as a martyr in this blog, because I'm not.

Tonight I am taking the plunge and doing the rice and beans thing.  I had to soak the damn beans overnight and now I have to simmer them for 90 minutes.  After all this, wouldn't it be ironic if they were just nasty tasting?   Did I mention that patience is not my strong suit?   The rice goes in for 45 minutes and then I guess I'll mix them together in a big pot. Sounds bland, so I will scrounge for something in my limited cupboard to liven it up.   I sometimes bluff and say that I am an "intuitve cook," but what that really means is that I don't have a clue what I am doing and I'll throw in anything that is handy.  Just like a gambler, once in a great while I'll hit paydirt--and that's what I remember.  The 95% of the time that it flops I conveniently forget.

So here in the middle of my week I will admit that this mini-journey, this exercise, this participant-observer experiment  has me really humbled.  There is much that I take for granted in my insulated middle-class life.  I suppose if the biggest challenge I faced on a day-to-day basis was eating off 28 bucks a week that I could adapt and do it under my present circumstances.  But, when I add to this, worries about healthcare, not having insurance, working in a brutal minium-wage job, and maintaining affordable housing all while having one or more dependents, I am simply blown away.  I guess what I am getting at is what I think of as the "cascade effect."    Every adversity that a person faces makes them more susceptible to other adversities in an exponential manner.  Those who are facing several at a time have the odds stacked mightily against them. 

I just sampled a bean from the pot.......and it tastes nasty.



2 comments:

  1. You're so right, Tim. I told my wife about your experiment, and she said, "Oh that would be easy to do." Not so when you add all the other pressures you noted. Not to mention that you're only cooking for one, not a family (on $60 a week).

    It's great you're doing this. You'll feel grateful when Sunday comes - just imagine the feeling for those adults and kids for whom this "exercise" never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, next time try buying lentils, they're so tasty, versatile and you don't have to pre-soak them! We had them with some sweet potato last night and they were delish!

    Thanks again for your post, I love your humor and insights!

    ReplyDelete